2018 Au Pair Income Tax


It’s that time of the year again. It’s time to file taxes on the income amount earned in 2018. I am not a tax professional, and I cannot provide you with tax advice, but I can give a general guide on how to file your income taxes.


  • 2018 Income Tax needs to be filed by April 15, 2019 (Monday)
  • Use form 1040NR-EZ (if you seek the help of a tax professional, make sure they are using the 1040NR-EZ form)
  • You will have to print out the form and mail it to the IRS. There is no way right now to e-file your taxes.
  • You can check out “Tax Information for Au Pairs” in your Au Pair account for more information on how to file your taxes
  • If you have any specific questions about income taxes, it’s best to contact a tax professional who is familiar with the tax laws in our state
  • You can pay your taxes directly to the IRS through their website
  • The most notable change from 2017 Income Tax Year is the suspension (ridding) of the personal exemption (Page 1)
  • Au Pairs CANNOT claim any deductions (standard or otherwise)

The easiest way to find out how much money you will have to pay in income taxes is to follow this simple formula:


(a) – Number of weeks worked in 2018

(b) – Stipend ($195.75 or however much your Host Family agreed to pay you weekly)

(c) – Total earnings in 2018/Taxable Income

Formula: (a) x (b) = (c)

Find the number of weeks you worked in 2018 (a)

Multiply the weeks worked (a) by the stipend you received per week (b – $195.75 or however much your Host Family agreed to pay you weekly)

This will show you total earnings for the year of 2017 (c)

Check the 2018 Tax Table (page 22-33) to see how much money you owe in income taxes.


I hope this helps! I will be emailing all of my Au Pairs and their Host Families with the ax Guide that Cultural Care has released for this year. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.



Sunday, 17 February 2019 10:33 PM


Leave a reply